Navigating the Bartum collection of Aber Uni website?
g***@gmail.com
2016-05-08 17:17:48 UTC
Wondering if someone can help point me in the right direction?

The homepage for the project is http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/dspace/handle/2160/4026

I was looking at Marchudd 6 (D1) here Loading Image...

At the bottom I'm wanting to find the children of:
15 Huw = Alice f. John Owen of Abergeie

I tried following to the Iarddur 3 but can't seem to find them anywhere.
John Higgins
2016-05-08 19:12:38 UTC
I was looking at Marchudd 6 (D1) here http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/dspace/bitstream/handle/2160/5234/MARCHUDD%206%28D1%29_1270.png?sequence=9&isAllowed=y
15 Huw = Alice f. John Owen of Abergeie
I tried following to the Iarddur 3 but can't seem to find them anywhere.
The reference in Marchudd 6(D1) is to Iarddur 3(B1). If you enter "Iarddur 3" in the search box at the home page for the Bartrum files, you'll get this page:
http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/dspace/handle/2160/4026/discover

Click on "Iarddur 3" and you'll get this list of table Iarddur 3 and all its subordinate tables:
http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/dspace/handle/2160/5292

The entry for Iarddur 3(B1) is at the very bottom of the list and links to this table:

Note that Alice ferch John Owen of Abergele [sic] whom you're looking for does not actually appear on this latter table, but her parents do (check the generation numbers indicated by Bartrum in both tables).
g***@gmail.com
2016-05-17 18:52:07 UTC
Thanks for the help. I couldn't make out the spelling of Abergele.

Do you have any idea what is meant under "15 Huw = Alice f. John Owen of Abergele" when it says in Marchudd 6 (D1) "GX 385. L.D. ii288"?

Or where I could find any more information on their children?

Thanks
taf
2016-05-17 19:13:50 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Thanks for the help. I couldn't make out the spelling of Abergele.
Do you have any idea what is meant under "15 Huw = Alice f. John Owen of Abergele" when it says in Marchudd 6 (D1) "GX 385. L.D. ii288"?
Or where I could find any more information on their children?
See the Introduction to Welsh Genealogies AD 300-1400 Volume 1

http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/dspace/handle/2160/6513

Both sources you ask about are on p. 12:

2016-05-17 19:17:35 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Thanks for the help. I couldn't make out the spelling of Abergele.
Do you have any idea what is meant under "15 Huw = Alice f. John Owen of Abergele" when it says in Marchudd 6 (D1) "GX 385. L.D. ii288"?
Or where I could find any more information on their children?
See the Introduction to Welsh Genealogies AD 300-1400 Volume 1
http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/dspace/handle/2160/6513
http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/dspace/bitstream/handle/2160/6513/ABBREVIATIONS_12.png?sequence=17&isAllowed=y
Just to be clear, the text you ask about are sources, so GX 385 is presumably p. 385 in Harley 1969 (which Barton abbreviated as GX).

taf
g***@gmail.com
What is Harley 1969?
taf
2017-06-05 19:58:21 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by taf
Just to be clear, the text you ask about are sources, so GX 385 is
presumably p. 385 in Harley 1969 (which Barton abbreviated as GX).
What is Harley 1969?
This is Harleian ms. 1969, which is described here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=jWVoAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA35

taf
g***@gmail.com

You don't know if that can be found online do you? I get the impression it's only via the Reading Rooms in London.
taf
2017-06-12 16:55:56 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Thanks.
You don't know if that can be found online do you? I get the impression
it's only via the Reading Rooms in London.
I see no indication that it has been published, and it is not online via the British Library site, so no, I don't think so.

2016-05-17 23:03:28 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Thanks for the help. I couldn't make out the spelling of Abergele.
Do you have any idea what is meant under "15 Huw = Alice f. John Owen of Abergele" when it says in Marchudd 6 (D1) "GX 385. L.D. ii288"?
Or where I could find any more information on their children?
Thanks
LD is Sir Samuel Rush Meyrick's 1846 edition of Lewys Dwnn's "Heraldic visitations of Wales and part of the marches between the years 1586 and 1613". Both volumes of this work are available at the FHL's website here:
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/247270?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Although Bartrum cites p. 288 of volume 2 of the Dwnn work, the pedigree you're looking for is actually on page 289, where the children of Huw [Williams] and Alice ferch John Owen are shown. Also shown is one grandchild, who happens to be the Capt. Huw Williams of Wig that you've asked about in a different inquiry.
g***@gmail.com
2017-06-05 15:03:02 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Thanks for the help. I couldn't make out the spelling of Abergele.
Do you have any idea what is meant under "15 Huw = Alice f. John Owen of Abergele" when it says in Marchudd 6 (D1) "GX 385. L.D. ii288"?
Or where I could find any more information on their children?
Thanks
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/247270?availability=Family%20History%20Library
Although Bartrum cites p. 288 of volume 2 of the Dwnn work, the pedigree you're looking for is actually on page 289, where the children of Huw [Williams] and Alice ferch John Owen are shown. Also shown is one grandchild, who happens to be the Capt. Huw Williams of Wig that you've asked about in a different inquiry.
I'm so sorry, I can't believe that I missed your most helpful reply. I really appreciate it, thank you John!

This might be an obvious answer for you, but I was wondering how you know that the grandchild is the same Capt. Huw Williams of Wig?

Thanks again