Yorkshire Pedigrees
Nancy Piccirilli
2018-05-22 20:07:53 UTC
Hello everyone
I just discovered that Quintin Publications no longer publishes books! I am very interested in Yorkshire genealogy and am hoping to acquire the 3 volume Harleian Society "Yorkshire Pedigrees" by J. W. Walker, and Surtees Society books which Quintin offered. Can anyone recommend a source?
Thanks, Nancy
wjhonson
2018-05-23 16:29:18 UTC
Post by Nancy Piccirilli
Hello everyone
I just discovered that Quintin Publications no longer publishes books! I am very interested in Yorkshire genealogy and am hoping to acquire the 3 volume Harleian Society "Yorkshire Pedigrees" by J. W. Walker, and Surtees Society books which Quintin offered. Can anyone recommend a source?
Thanks, Nancy
This must be a very rare set.
I find that Worldcat only has 24 of them anywhere in the world

https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=yorkshire+pedigrees+walker&qt=results_page

Also it does not appear on abe.com
P J Evans
It's volumes 94-96 of Publications of the Harleian Society.
John Higgins
2018-05-23 17:11:16 UTC
Post by Nancy Piccirilli
Hello everyone
I just discovered that Quintin Publications no longer publishes books! I am very interested in Yorkshire genealogy and am hoping to acquire the 3 volume Harleian Society "Yorkshire Pedigrees" by J. W. Walker, and Surtees Society books which Quintin offered. Can anyone recommend a source?
Thanks, Nancy
This must be a very rare set.
I find that Worldcat only has 24 of them anywhere in the world
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=yorkshire+pedigrees+walker&qt=results_page
Also it does not appear on abe.com
Will, you're misreading the Worldcat page you cite above. Not all of the 24 entries on that page (and its continuations) are for Hunter's Yorkshire Pedigrees which the original poster was looking for. And if you open the entries which ARE for the requested work, you'll see that there are quite a bit more than 24 copies worldwide. Through my library's access to Worldcat, I see about 60 copies.

Since the work was published in the 1940s it's unlikely to have been digitized, and I can't quickly locate any copies on major used-book websites.
wjhonson
2018-05-24 16:13:42 UTC
Post by Nancy Piccirilli
[...]
Still rare, no matter how you slice it.
For it not to appear at all on abe.com seems to speak as well, that it's not likely to be found in any private collections

I suppose we could wait fifty years for it to fall out of copyright
John Higgins
2018-05-24 18:18:40 UTC
Since the work was published in the 1940s it's unlikely to have been digitized, and I can't quickly locate any copies on major used-book websites.
I now recall that the UK section of Archive CD Books (when it was still operating) entered into an agreement with the Harleian Society to publish CD copies of virtually all of the "visitation series" publications of the society (including the ones still under copyright, except perhaps the "new series" volumes). It appears that they are still available through other parts of the Archive CD Books organization. Specifically the "Yorkshire Pedigrees" volumes are here, as a single CD:
http://www.archivecdbooks.ie/acatalog/yks-pedigrees.html

And at another site as well:
https://www.gould.com.au/yorkshire-pedigrees/gb8086/

Since these volumes are unlikely to appear on sites such as Google Books or the Internet Archive in the foreseeable future, the CD versions could be a sensible purchase for interested parties.
Nancy Piccirilli
2018-05-28 03:26:48 UTC
Since the work was published in the 1940s it's unlikely to have been digitized, and I can't quickly locate any copies on major used-book websites.
http://www.archivecdbooks.ie/acatalog/yks-pedigrees.html
https://www.gould.com.au/yorkshire-pedigrees/gb8086/
Since these volumes are unlikely to appear on sites such as Google Books or the Internet Archive in the foreseeable future, the CD versions could be a sensible purchase for interested parties.
Thank you so much everyone!
Nancy