Duke of Polignano
Alwynne Mackie
2004-05-01 07:28:49 UTC
Can anyone please tell me where I can learn something about James Edwin-Cole
who successfully claimed the title of Duke of Polignano some time in the
late 1800s or ealy 1900s? The title was created by the Holy Roman Emperor
CharlesVI and had been dormant from 1850. All I know is that he married Mary
Barbara Huddleston in 1880.
With thanks,
Alwynne
Kelsey J. Williams
2004-05-01 21:40:33 UTC
Hello,

The following can be gleaned from the Marquis of Ruvigny's _Titled
Nobility of Europe (London, 1914), p. 1157:

Don Gaetano de Leto, Marchese di Polignano, was created Duca di
Polignano by the Emperor Charles VI on 26 Aug 1730. After the death
unm. 27 Jul 1854 of Camillo, the 3rd Duke, the title passed to John
Cole, of Easthorpe Court, Lincs., grandson & heir of Elisabetta, dau.
& in her issue sole heir of Gaetano, the 1st Duke. John died 14 April
1897 and was succeeded by his brother, James Edwin Cole, who obtained
recognition of his right to the above titles 25 April 1905 and
"recorded the same in the Royal Registry at Naples 5 May following."
James Edwin was born 27 April 1835 and in 1914 was a J.P. in
Lincolnshire, a barrister-at-law in the Inner Temple and resided at
Brampton Manor, near Huntingdon. He married 7 Dec 1880 to Mary
Barbara (d.s.p. 14 Dec 1910), daughter of Gent Huddleston.

Sincerely,
Kelsey J. Williams
Alwynne
Alwynne Mackie
2004-05-02 00:42:15 UTC
Thank you very much, Kelsey. That is very kind of you, and most helpful.
Just one query, and please forgive my ignorance, but the bit in brackets
after Mary Barbara, d.s.p., before the date of her death - what does it
stand for?
Cheers,
Alwynne
Alwynne
d***@gmail.com

d.s.p. probably means "died sin progeny" (a mixture of English and Latin). Usually people just write "s.p.". In 1867, James Edwin Cole published a book about the Cole family. There are references to it at "http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=colesofdevon&id=I168". Google published copies of its pages and OCR'd them. I subsequently edited them to make them text searchable. Links to all of this can be seen in the Post-ems at the above link.
Renia
2014-06-17 10:05:59 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Post by Alwynne Mackie
Thank you very much, Kelsey. That is very kind of you, and most
helpful. Just one query, and please forgive my ignorance, but the
bit in brackets after Mary Barbara, d.s.p., before the date of her
death - what does it stand for? Cheers,
......etc
d.s.p. probably means "died sin progeny" (a mixture of English and
Latin). Usually people just write "s.p."
No, it is usually written " dsp " which means "demisit sin prole " which
is Latin for died without issue.
D. Spencer Hines
2014-06-17 10:54:57 UTC
No, it's _descessit sine prole_. Died without issue or offspring.

...And abbreviated d.s.p. or dsp.

You will also see:

s.p. - sine prole; without issue or offspring

s.p.l. - sine prole legitima; without legitimate issue or offspring

s.p.m. - sine prole mascula; without male issue or offspring

s.p.s. - sine prole superstite; without surviving issue or offspring

D. Spencer Hines

"Then there is the danger that the ignorant man may easily underdose himself
and by exposing his microbes to non-lethal quantities of the drug make them
resistant."

Nobel Prize Winner Sir Alexander Fleming MBBS, FRSE, FRS, FRCS (Eng) - 1945
(Penicillin first saw widespread use in 1945.)
James Hogg
2014-06-17 13:18:13 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
No, it's _descessit sine prole_. Died without issue or offspring.
Or if you want it in Latin: decessit sine prole.
James
Richard Smith
2014-06-17 13:21:12 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
d.s.p. probably means "died sin progeny" (a mixture of English and Latin).
No, it is usually written " dsp " which means "demisit sin prole " which
is Latin for died without issue.
No, it's _descessit sine prole_. Died without issue or offspring.
I'm sure there's some law stating that every post correcting someone's
spelling will itself contain a spelling mistake. I'm pretty sure it's
'discessit', not 'descessit'. Third-person singular perfect indicative
of 'discedo', to depart.

Now I wonder what mistakes people will find in this post ...

Richard
James Hogg
2014-06-17 13:28:21 UTC
Post by Richard Smith
Post by d***@gmail.com
d.s.p. probably means "died sin progeny" (a mixture of English and Latin).
No, it is usually written " dsp " which means "demisit sin prole " which
is Latin for died without issue.
No, it's _descessit sine prole_. Died without issue or offspring.
I'm sure there's some law stating that every post correcting someone's
spelling will itself contain a spelling mistake. I'm pretty sure it's
'discessit', not 'descessit'. Third-person singular perfect indicative
of 'discedo', to depart.
Now I wonder what mistakes people will find in this post ...
It's "decessit", as in the Oxford Dictionary of Abbreviations:
books.google.se/books?id=bWwKWnp9vaoC&pg=PA134
James
j***@gmail.com
2014-06-17 14:06:36 UTC
Post by James Hogg
books.google.se/books?id=bWwKWnp9vaoC&pg=PA134
In Latin, it's 'dicessit' , from discedo.

However, the abbreviation d.s.p. is almost without exception expanded as 'decessit'.

I have no idea why, but am curious..

--Joe C
James Hogg
2014-06-17 14:29:44 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by James Hogg
books.google.se/books?id=bWwKWnp9vaoC&pg=PA134
In Latin, it's 'dicessit' , from discedo.
However, the abbreviation d.s.p. is almost without exception expanded as 'decessit'.
I have no idea why, but am curious..
Because it's right. Lewis and Short conjugate the verb thus:

decedo, decessi, decessum
James
Richard Smith
2014-06-17 15:34:28 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
In Latin, it's 'dicessit' , from discedo.
However, the abbreviation d.s.p. is almost without exception expanded as 'decessit'.
My dictionary has two separate verbs, discedo and decedo, which appear
to be more or less synonymous. Time to consult a tame classicist...

Richard
James Hogg
2014-06-17 15:55:51 UTC
Post by Richard Smith
Post by j***@gmail.com
In Latin, it's 'dicessit' , from discedo.
However, the abbreviation d.s.p. is almost without exception
expanded as 'decessit'.
My dictionary has two separate verbs, discedo and decedo, which
appear to be more or less synonymous. Time to consult a tame
classicist...
Those two forms have the advantage that they both exist in Latin and
both mean "die". The other two that have been suggested, "descedo" and
"dicedo", are not Latin.
James
James Hogg
2014-06-17 16:56:06 UTC
Post by James Hogg
Post by Richard Smith
Post by j***@gmail.com
In Latin, it's 'dicessit' , from discedo.
However, the abbreviation d.s.p. is almost without exception
expanded as 'decessit'.
My dictionary has two separate verbs, discedo and decedo, which
appear to be more or less synonymous. Time to consult a tame
classicist...
Those two forms have the advantage that they both exist in Latin and
both mean "die". The other two that have been suggested, "descedo"
and "dicedo", are not Latin.
Here's what the OED says under "decease":

Taken as the English repr. of Latin decedere and French décéder. In
Latin decedere and discedere were nearly synonymous in the sense
'depart, go away', and in medieval Latin discedere , discessus, were
also used for decedere, decessus in senses 'die, death'; hence Old
French descès = decès , and the Middle English and 16th cent. forms in
des- , dis- , dys-.
--
James