Rolleston of Tanshelf, Toynton & Watnall Re-Evaluated.
Add Reply
Ken Rolston
2016-04-30 14:49:01 UTC
Back in March 2014 we were discussing in this forum the rather intricate complexities of the Rowlstons of Tanshelf branch in Yorkshire and their marriages with Copleys and Bosviles and Cressy, etc. Following Terry Booth's excellent proposal of 3 x Edward Rowlstons in succession for the family at Cridling Stubbs in Womersley parish, I posted a lot of detail in "Rolston of Tanshelf in Pontefract, Part 1" and more about the connections to Goodrickes at their moiety of Nether Toynton in Lincolnshire, in "Rolston of Tanshelf in Pontefract, Part 2". We discussed our interpretations of the Rowlston marriage to Anne Goodricke, by which Nether Toynton first came to the Rowlstons.

Since then I have been concentrating on refining the details and have hopefully resolved many of the questions that concerned us at that time. I agree now with Terry that Edward Rowlston who married Anne Goodricke was not of the Watnall branch, but was son of Edward (I) Rowlston and Mabel Anne at Cridling Stubbs.
There was also discussion about Edward Rowlston of Nether Toynton who received all of the Watnall estates by bequest from Lancelot Rolleston of Watnall in 1685, through whom the Toynton and Watnall branches combined. The identity of that Edward of Toynton was questionable, Burke, following errors in Visitations, defined him as son of Philip Rolleston of Watnall and Frances Pierrepont. I have now proved that to be wrong. I have identified a number of errors in the family's previous pedigrees and have pinned down the identity of Edward of Toynton. I have tentatively integrated Vance Meade's data from the Close Rolls about John & Isabell Roulston at Pontefract who might provide the connection between Swarkeston manor and Tanshelf around 1483.
As I feared at the time, this has radically changed the generally accepted lineage of the Rollestons at Watnall, of whom the post-1687 family have a different ancestry to those at Watnall pre-1685.
I have to confess that much of the interpretation about individuals and family lineages in the Part 2 post of March 2014 is superseded and I strongly recommend that conclusions derived from that post should be scrapped.

I have written all of this into a research paper that I would like to present to any on this forum who may be interested to follow through with the story. The paper runs to 59 pages including 6 pedigree charts and cannot be posted here. I have placed it into DropBox and provide the link here for anyone to access it to view or download. The paper is titled: "The Rollestons of Toynton and Watnall, a Re-Evaluation - 2nd Draft". It remains in draft form until I have found supporting data for the Swarkeston-Tanshelf connection and for the proof of identity of Thomas Rowlston who received the conveyance of Nether Toynton from Anne Goodricke in 1606 and thus became ancestral to Rollestons of Toynton and Watnall. The charts define the revised lineage from around 1370 when Rollestons branched off to Swarkeston and from there to Tanshelf, then onward to Nether Toynton and finally Watnall. As this is still a draft, there are likely to be further changes in future as I gather more detail, and some of the charts will be revised, but I believe I am now much closer to a correct definition of these family lines.

In 7 chapters, the paper discusses:
History of Nether Toynton and how it came to the Rollestons.
Rolleston of Watnall Chaworth, the direct family line.
Rolleston of Swarkeston manor in Derbs.
Rowlston of Tanshelf in Pontefract, Yorks.
The transfer of Nether Toynton manor to Thomas Rowlston.
Rowlston of Toynton, inheritors of Watnall and progenitors of the post-1687 Watnall branch.
Conclusions regarding the re-evaluated Watnall branch.
There is also an Appendix providing a summary description of each of the 11 x Thomas, 10 x Edward and 6 x Lancelot that come into the story.

Please note that this paper is only about the Rolstons of Tanshelf descended from Lyonell (II), mercer of Pontefract, and is not concerned with the other Rolstons descended from his father Lyonell (I) who were involved with Copleys, Cressys, etc. That substantial other half of the Tanshelf branch will be discussed in a future research paper.

Here is the link to the pdf file in DropBox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgs41be16c5wc37/Toynton%20%26%20Watnall%20re-evaluation.pdf?dl=0

Happy reading.....
Ken Rolston.
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-06-05 01:34:04 UTC
Hi Ken,

I came across the catalogue entries for a few records that may be helpful to you in your research on Rolleston of Tanshelf, Toynton & Watnall. You may have already taken a look at these, but they are housed in the Nottingham archives, so you may not have seen them.

http://nawcat.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqServer=AP266-0029&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=NaviTree.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqItem=DD%201355/A&dsqField=RefNo#HERE

Level Item
Repository GB 0157 Nottinghamshire Archives
ReferenceNo DD/1355/64
FullCatalogue View collection catalogue

AccessionNo 3605
Title Grant
Date 24 Mar 1544
Extent 1 doc
ContentDescription (1) John Ballett of Nethertynton [Low Toynton, Lincolnshire], chaplain
(2) John Goderic of Ely Cambridgeshire], esq
(3) William Goderic son of (2)

Grant from (1) to (2) of the manor in Nethertynton with all lands, tenements, meadow, pasture etc. with appurtenances in vill and fields of Nether and Upper Tynton, Wayth cum Gransbye [Waith cum Grainsby, Lincolnshire] and Teithforth [Tetford, Lincolnshire]. (2) to hold of chief lords of fee by due and customary service and after death of (2), (3) to hold premises.

Memorandum of endorsed delivery of seisin.

Dated 24 Mar 35 Henry VIII 1544.

Parchment; signature and seal of (1).
AccessStatus Open
Language Latin

Level Item
Repository GB 0157 Nottinghamshire Archives
ReferenceNo DD/1355/99
FullCatalogue View collection catalogue

AccessionNo 3605
Title Indenture, arbitration
Date 27 Jul 1618
Extent 1 doc
ContentDescription (1) Lancellett Roulston [Rolleston] of Watnowe [Watnall], esq, [plaintiff]
(2) Sir John Byron, junior, of Bulwell, knight; Timothy Pusey, esq; and Silvester Smyth, gentleman [deforciants]
(3) Gervase Teverey; and William Mosley, esqs

Reciting that at Assizes held at Nottingham in Lent 1618 trial was held between (1) and (2) regarding the trespass by (2) surrounding certain piece of ground of (1) by maintaining a dam or pond of water serving iron works of above Sir John Byron then occupied by Pusey and Smyth; cause depending notwithstanding above trial and all other controversies between (1) and (2) by mutual consent referred to (3) for arbitration, now (3) after view of quantity and quality of above parcel of ground, damage and loss sustained by (1) and benefit and advantage gained by (2), find it reasonable that Sir John Byron as in (2) pay (1) unpaid rent amounting to 40s. until beginning of suit and £6 for costs sustained in suit and on payment (1) to demise above parcel of meadow ground to Byron from Annunciation B.V.M. [Blessed Virgin Mary] [25 Mar] 1618 for term of 7 years if (1) live, (2) paying 26s 8d per annum rent at house of (1) in Watnowe. Proviso that if rent unpaid 20 days demise void.

Signatures of all except Pusey and Smyth; seals missing.

Dated 27 Jul 16 James I 1618.
AccessStatus Open

Level Item
Repository GB 0157 Nottinghamshire Archives
ReferenceNo DD/1355/100
FullCatalogue View collection catalogue

AccessionNo 3605
Title Answers to interrogatories in examination of Robert, Earl of Kingston at Worksop
Date 10 Nov 1635
Extent 1 doc
ContentDescription In Chancery case between William Copely, esq, plaintiff and Earl of Kingston deforciant concerning lease of ironworks.

Commission addressed to Sir Ralph Hansby, knight, Robert Rockley and William Moseley esqs.

Signatures and seals of Hansby, Rockley and Moseley; signature of Kingston.
AccessStatus Open

Level Item
Repository GB 0157 Nottinghamshire Archives
ReferenceNo DD/1355/101
FullCatalogue View collection catalogue

AccessionNo 3605
Title Copy plea of trespass [enrolled 21 Charles II]
Date 8 Jun 1667
Date 8 Oct 1669
Extent 1 doc
ContentDescription (1) William Roulston [Rolleston] of Acton [Middlesex], esq, respondent
(2) William Dodd by attorney Charles Rampayne, plaintiff

(1) to answer (2) on plea of trespass [debt] re £21 6s 10d for various merchandise sold to (1).

Endorsed memorandum: Receipt by (2) for £10 9s in full for all demands of (1).
AccessStatus Open

Level Item
Repository GB 0157 Nottinghamshire Archives
ReferenceNo DD/1355/102
FullCatalogue View collection catalogue

AccessionNo 3605
Title Bond
Date 29 Mar 1684
Date 15 Apr 1684
Extent 1 doc
ContentDescription (1) Lancellot Rolleston of Carburton, esq
(2) Edward Bigland, esq, serjeant at law
(3) Christopher Hall, mayor of Nottingham; Ralph Edge, Clerk of Recognizances of Debt, Nottingham

Bond for £600. (1) to (2) on 10 Apr 1684 on production of bond. If default made in payment (1) to incur penaulty and distraint under statutes merchant.

Parchment; signatures and seals of (1) and (3) - latter Statute Merchant Seal of Borough of Nottingham.

Endorsed enrolment dated 15 Apr 1684.
AccessStatus Open
Language Latin

Level Item
Repository GB 0157 Nottinghamshire Archives
ReferenceNo DD/1355/103
FullCatalogue View collection catalogue

AccessionNo 3605
Title Copy petition to George Lord Jeffreyes [Judge], chancellor of England
Date 15 Apr 1684
Extent 1 doc
ContentDescription (1) Sir Robert Sawre, knight, attorney general to James II
(2) Late William Rolleston of Acton [Middlesex] and Kettleborough [Kettleburgh, Staffordshire], gentleman
(3) Lancellot Rolleston of Watnall, gentleman; and Alured Rolleston of Middlesex, gentleman, both executors of (2)
(4) Edward Rolleston of Toynton [Lincolnshire] esq. executor of Lancellot Rolleston as in (2)

(1) petitions chancellor Jeffreyes on behalf of inhabitants of town of Rolleston [Staffordshire] laying information that (2) seized in fee of reversion expectant on death of H.M. Katherine Queen Dowager of fee farm rents at manor of Rolleston c £30 per annum purchased by (2) of Charles II. (2) possessed in lifetime of great personal estate of value of £1500, having no issue and with pious intention to settle above fee farm rent up to yearly value of £100 for building hospital, increase of schoolmaster's salary, maintenance of poor people in Rolleston [Staffordshire] and other charitable uses for town of Rolleston where (2) or some of ancestors born and dwelt and where family seat for many year (though lately alienated), on 23 July 1672 by will [long preamble] (2) instructed executors to convey his body to Rolleston church in Staffordshire and bury it in St Mary's Isle [aisle] within grave of ancestors near where father's bones lye and to set up inscription. £100 left to poor of Rolleston from fee farm rents of town, bell given and charge of making steeple fit to be at testator's charge, house to be built of brick with Rolleston arms over door and on door and inscription concerning donor and to be as near schoolhouse 'as you can buy a piece of ground to sett it one'.

School master to have £10 out of above £100 per annum to read prayers twice a day and scholars to have 10s a quarter to buy cakes on St Stephen's Day [10s], Easter Monday [10s], Midsummer Day [10s] and Michaelmas Day [10s], 6 poor men and women to have £6 a year 'but every 2 yeares to take out soe much as will buy them gownes', remainder of above £100 per annum given to be made use of for poor that are newly married to have it without use [interest] for 4 years provided they give good security and return it at end of 4 years and then to another couple for same use only. £5 per annum to member of Rolleston family overseeing hospital with one of Agotts living near Rolleston 'to give a dinner to them and the best of that Towne of Rolleston on May Day at the Cross if it bee faire weather'. All lands at Acton [Middlesex] and all stock there and at Kettleborough [Staffordshire] to be sold to advantage and laid out in Staffordshire for uses above, £50 per annum to be taken out of farm at Kettleborough to go to Henry Penninge and heirs.

(3) appointed executors of will and fee farm rents of Rolleston given to poor and to be made up to £100 per annum out of lands of Acton. £500 given to Alured Rolleston as in (3) and remainder to Lancellot Rolleston as in (3) in case he buy Rolleston and 'if hee doth not to that Rolleston that shall buy it. If not it is to bee putt into a bank to trade towards any Rolleston that shall doe it'. Lancellott Rolleston, the Agotts and the Everets are to supervise transaction and to trade to best advantage till considerable sum tempts a Rolleston to purchase in case Lancellot Rolleston refuse.

To Mary Rolleston and Elizabeth Rolleston, daughters of Symon Rolleston of Lambeth, or to any child that his wife claims to be his, 12d each. To servant James Rhenolds £5 per annum or option to be one of the Alms men at Rolleston. Testator prays God to bless executors and to send them grace not to wrong the poor nor testator that curse may not fall on them that injure poor and not fulfill will of dead. True friend Mr Robert Butler and cozen John Rolleston and Mr Humphrey Butler of Grays Inn appointed overseers of will and given £10 each for rings. (2) died shortly after making will and will proved in Feb 1672 in Prerogative Court of Canterbury and possession taken by (3) of all money, goods, chattels, corn, stock etc and personal estate of (2) sold and great sums of money raised; Lancellot Rolleston entered premises in Acton charged with raising £100 per annum for above charitable uses and which ought to have been sold for that purpose, disposed of premises and received rents and profits from death of (2) during remainder of own life (c 13 or 14 years), pulled down buildings and sold materials to value of £200 and woods to value of £100 - all of which rents and profits etc at Kettleborough and Acton should have been applied to erecting almshouse providing bell, fitting and preparing steeple of church of Rolleston [Staffordshire] for placing bell, paying £10 per annum to schoolmaster of Rolleston and yearly sums to poor and other charitable uses.

Lancellot Rolleston possessed in demesne of real and personal estate in Watnall, Gresley, Torkard, Mansfield etc and Riddings Greenhill Lane in parish of Alfreton [Derbyshire] etc and personal estate amounting to £1000 per annum by will c 9 Aug 1685 made provision that all debts, legacies etc including premises in Acton [Middlesex] died without issue and (4) proved will, entered premises devised to him in Acton took rents and profits and possession of personal estate of Lancelot Rolleston and together with Alured Rolleston as in (3) surviving executor of (2) ought to account for all rents and profits etc raised from above premises in Acton which Lancellot Rolleston had taken and received since death of (2), make up fee farm rents sum of £100 being debt justly owing by Lancellot Rolleston and ought to be paid by (4) to charitable uses above and (4) ought to account for rents and profits of premises in Acton taken by him since death of Lancellot Rolleston and pay same to charitable uses, selling Acton premises and with money raised and goods and stock at Acton and Kettleborough purchase premises in Staffordshire which together with fee farm rents should amount to clear annual value of £100.

Lancellot Rolleston received rents and profits in Acton and never paid same to uses for which intended by (1), and (4) executor of Lancellot Rolleston and Alured Rolleston [surviving executor of (1)] or one of them having unjust design to defeat above charitable uses and to defraud and deprive poor and others of town of Rolleston, concealed personal estate, avoided account for rents and profits and money raised in Acton received since death of (2) and kept growing rents to own use, neglected and refused to build hospital and to pay and settle £100 per annum and execute provisions in will of (2) and to perform trusts reposed in (3). Further in prosecution of design (3) combined with Joseph Moore of Southwark [Surrey], upholsterer, and wife Mary and Philip Jacob of Lambeth [Surrey], gentleman, and wife Elizabeth [Elizabeth and Mary are or pretend to be cousins and heirs of (2) or daughters and heirs of Symon Rolleston, eldest brother of (2) and others unknown to (1) who when discovered should be made parties 'and charged with confederates holding deeds, evidences etc. re above premises with intention to obstruct performance of will of (2), deny that (2) made such will, claimed title to Acton premises by ficitious settlement or conveyance or that will is unintelligible and imperfect to sustain matter'. Incomplete.
AccessStatus Open

I hope some of these are of help to your research.

Cheers,
Jordan.
Ken Rolston.
Ken Rolston
2017-06-05 18:49:20 UTC
Post by Ken Rolston
[...]
Thank you for those references Jordan. I do have a copy of DD/1355/64 of John Ballet the chaplain at Nether Toynton. It contains very useful information.

DD/1355/99 I have not seen, I shall view it next time at Notts Archives.

DD/1355/100 I think is regarding ironworks at Carburton, held by the Rollestons and before them by the Mosleys.

DD/1355/101 and 102 I have not seen, again I shall view it.

DD/1355/103 is all about the will of William Rolleston, the last of the family of Rolleston manor in Staffordshire. He was a Major in the King's Regiment of Guards during and after the civil war and for financial reasons was forced to sell the manor property, to Sir Edward Mosley (Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster)who already held a mortgage.
William did not want his lands at Acton etc to go to his nieces, daughters of his brother Symon, so he bequeathed 12 pence each to Mary and Elizabeth Rolleston, to prevent them claiming in future that they had been inadvertantly left out of the will. This was a common device for the purpose. Even so, they later brought a court case and eventually won control of the properties. There is quite a lengthy story about all of this, to be written up.
I have not seen this particular document but I know most of the detail behind it.

I shall be visiting Notts Archives probably later this year and will place your refs on my list of docs to view.

Thanks again,
Ken.
Jordan Vandenberg

Ken Rolston.
Jordan Vandenberg

Ken Rolston.
Ken Rolston
2017-06-05 22:44:53 UTC
Post by Ken Rolston
[...]
Yes, I have a note of that marriage settlement, ref DD/1355/65, to be viewed and copied.
There are quite a number of Rolleston of Watnall documents at Notts Archives, many of which I have investigated.

During this past week I have been in the Midlands, at Lincoln and Leicester, met up with and greatly enjoyed the company of Steve Riggan and Matt Tompkins.

At Lincs Archives I found the will of Henry Sapcote 1553. The reference under "Various Wills" was unknown to the archivist but he found it after a lengthy search. It is quite a long will and I expect shall take quite some time to transcribe. I shall post it to sgm in response to your earlier query, but give me time to work on it.
The same volume had the will of Edward Sapcote 1578, Henry's eldest son and George Chippingdale 1579, Alice's brother.

At Lincoln castle I was fortunate to view the Domesday Book, on loan there until September, also Lincoln's original of Magna Carta and the Charter of the Forest. In Lincoln cathedral I was surprised to find the beautiful tomb and effigy of Eleanor of Castile, wife of Edward I, her effigy carved in black stone.

At Leicester, the 3 of us saw the excellent exhibition of the discovery and recovery of the remains of Richard III and in the cathedral his marvellous tomb of fossiliferous limestone. These are all very much worth visiting for any sgm readers who may get the opportunity, highly recommended.

Ken.
Steve Riggan

Jordan Vandenberg