William Reade
Dragon1965fl
2004-02-27 17:21:54 UTC
Hello all,

Last week I "picked up" William Reade" for my family tree. For the last
week I have been trying to figure out his past linage. There seems to be two
groups of researchers, one states four Thomas's and the other states three
Thomas's. Any help will be helpful.... Thanks

William Reade 1601 (some say 1587) of Brocket Hall, Hert. Eng.

Thomas Reade and Mary Cornwall
Thomas Reade and Mary Brocket
Thomas Reade and Mary Stonehouse
Thomas Reade and Anne Hoo

or

Thomas Reade and Mary Hoo
Cristopher Nash
2004-02-27 20:16:23 UTC
Sutliff
2004-02-28 04:26:03 UTC
Or if it is William Reade of Weymouth, MA d. bef 1658, the same is true.
Ancestry unknown.

HS
Post by Cristopher Nash
Post by Dragon1965fl
Last week I "picked up" William Reade" for my family tree. For the last
week I have been trying to figure out his past linage. There seems to be two
groups of researchers, one states four Thomas's and the other states three
Thomas's. Any help will be helpful.... Thanks
William Reade 1601 (some say 1587) of Brocket Hall, Hert. Eng.
Thomas Reade and Mary Cornwall
Thomas Reade and Mary Brocket
Thomas Reade and Mary Stonehouse
Thomas Reade and Anne Hoo
or
Thomas Reade and Mary Cornwall
Thomas Reade and Mary Stonehouse
Thomas Reade and Mary Hoo
If you have in mind --
William Reed/Read(e) of Dorchester, Scituate & Woburn, MA, arrived
Boston 6 or 8 Oct 1635 on the Defence with wife Mabel (? Kendall?)
& ch. George, Ralph, & Justus, d. betw 9 Apr (will, proved
Newcastle-upon-Tyne) & 31 Oct 1656 (probate), and had da. Abigail
Reed, who m. Francis Wyman --
-- and who is often claimed in print to have been a desc. of Thomas
Reade and Mary Brocket &/or Thomas Reade and Mary or Anne Hoo -- I'm
afraid you're in for trouble. These 'connections' are entirely
spurious (and conceivably among of our more nasty if less
well-publicized genealogical frauds). (I'll bet 'Lord Brocket' of
recent 'I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here' fame would have a few
wry words to offer on the subject.) My feeling is he's likely of the
region of Denton/Newcastle, Northumberland, and possibly assoc'd with
Thomas Reade of Newcastle, yeoman (will 2 Jan 1656/7) and with the
family of Errington on whom there have been exchanges here in past
years.
I'd be interested, though, in the Cornwall and Stonehouse
suggestions. Have you any more on these?
Cheers,
Cris
Matthew Hovious
2004-03-02 14:39:12 UTC
Seeing this alleged Brocket Hall connection of William Read/e brought
back to life once again underscores the need for a Bogus Gateway
Ancestor list of some sort. I am sure that many newcomers to the field
of medieval genealogy experience a great deal of disappointment, once
the initial excitement of discovering an interesting ancestral
connection is replaced by the disillusionment of learning that a
particular line was already disproved decades earlier.

One problem, of course, is that those who prepare such a list are
likely to draw a flurry of unpleasant e-mail from descendants of the
impugned ancestors. Nevertheless, perhaps a list of at least the most
notorious bogus gateways ( a few of Gustave Anjou's gems, perhaps?)
could be added to the SGM FAQ?
Reed, who m. Francis Wyman --
Tim Powys-Lybbe
2004-03-02 16:06:55 UTC
Post by Matthew Hovious
Seeing this alleged Brocket Hall connection of William Read/e brought
back to life once again underscores the need for a Bogus Gateway
Ancestor list of some sort. I am sure that many newcomers to the field
of medieval genealogy experience a great deal of disappointment, once
the initial excitement of discovering an interesting ancestral
connection is replaced by the disillusionment of learning that a
particular line was already disproved decades earlier.
One problem, of course, is that those who prepare such a list are
likely to draw a flurry of unpleasant e-mail from descendants of the
impugned ancestors. Nevertheless, perhaps a list of at least the most
notorious bogus gateways ( a few of Gustave Anjou's gems, perhaps?)
could be added to the SGM FAQ?
I do not think that FAQs should be resources of medieval genealogical
fact. They should be about how this newsgroup works and how medieval
genealogy may be done. They can also refer to sites containing facts, as
this is low maintenance.

But to put facts on the FAQ requires continuous maintenance and is not
quite what the FAQ maintainer would want to do.

So how about making up a list of such bogus people yourself and putting
it on a site (Rootsweb will provide the space) and then asking the
FAQ maintainer if he would be so good as to add a reference to it in the
FAQ? And you can also put a reference to it in your sig.

Mind you this begs the question of which Gateway should be covered:
Gateways to Australian medieval ancestors, to French, to English, To
USA? What should an international newsgroup properly cover?
--
Tim Powys-Lybbe ***@powys.org
For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org
Hal Bradley
2004-03-02 17:26:29 UTC
Dear Newsgroup,

One such site already exists. The list was compiled by Robert Anderson,
FASG, and is an excellent starting point for such a link.

http://www.linkline.com/personal/xymox/fraud/fraud223.htm

A supplement was compiled of additional works that have Gustav Anjou's
fingerprints on them.

http://www.linkline.com/personal/xymox/fraud/fraud224.htm

Maybe these links could be added to the FAQ page as Tim suggested.

Hal Bradley