Howard~Origin of the name
Add Reply
r***@gmail.com
2018-05-13 16:08:57 UTC
Hello group,
Can anyone tell me with any authority, what the origin of the
surname Howard is.
The big question here is, could the Howard name be derived from the
name Hereward, and does this mean that the names origins are german
(saxon).
I have read the archives, but no authoritive mention is made as to
the actual origin of the Howard name. Does anyone have access to
onomastic and etymology evidence for the Howard name, if so, could you
please help me to understand where this surname came from.
Cheers,
Karen
Name is pronounced HOW-erd. It is of Scandinavian origin, and the meaning of Howard is "high guardian". From hâ ward, with one of the early forms being Haward. Occupational name and aristocratic surname of one of the great houses of English nobility, including the dukes of Norfolk and Queen Catherine HOWARD King Henry VIII Tudor 5th wife.
Andrew Lancaster
There is more than one origin.
Ian Goddard
2018-05-14 10:07:45 UTC
Post by Andrew Lancaster
Post by r***@gmail.com
Hello group,
Can anyone tell me with any authority, what the origin of the
surname Howard is.
%><
Post by Andrew Lancaster
Post by r***@gmail.com
Name is pronounced HOW-erd. It is of Scandinavian origin, and the meaning of Howard is "high guardian". From hâ ward, with one of the early forms being Haward. Occupational name and aristocratic surname of one of the great houses of English nobility, including the dukes of Norfolk and Queen Catherine HOWARD King Henry VIII Tudor 5th wife.
There is more than one origin.
There certainly is. In my area (Holmfirth WRY) it's possible to see it
replacing the earlier spelling of Heward in the C18 & C19. The presence
of the Howard family as owners of the manor of Glossop a few miles away
might have been an influence there.

Heywood is also a surname and should be distinct as there's the
possibility of deriving it from the place of that name in Lancashire.
There's also the more prosaic occupational name of Hayward as a source.

Ian