London Apprenticeships - Livery Company Membership
Robert O'Connor
2017-06-01 10:27:19 UTC
I have a William Steeper, of St Holborn, London (d 1650) who was in a Chancery suit from 1640 called "Citizen & Merchant Taylor of London".

As expected, he appears in the 'List of Freemen of the Merchant Taylors' Company, 1530-1928" as being admitted as a Freeman (having served as an apprentice to Leonard Taylor, Citizen & Merchant Taylor) on 6 August 1619.

However, I have also discovered on the 'Records of London Livery Companies Online' at http://www.londonroll.org/home a further William Steeper who was apprenticed to a William Wilson, Clothworker, of London on 27 March 1609 for 9 years.

I wonder if anyone has a view on whether it is possible that these two William Steepers are one in the same and that he started as an apprentice clothworker, but later became an apprentice merchant taylor? Clothworking and tailoring seem to me to be related trades?

All comments welcome.

Regards
Robert O'Connor
Robert O'Connor
2017-06-01 10:28:22 UTC
William Steeper was actually of St Andrew Holborn
Nathan Murphy
2017-06-02 02:21:47 UTC
Post by Robert O'Connor
William Steeper was actually of St Andrew Holborn
This tax might reveal whether there was more than one William Steeper. It is described as 'The members of the city companies in 1641 as set forth in the return for the poll tax.'

The Poll Tax for London in 1641, 5 vols. (1934-1939)
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/291316?availability=Family%20History%20Library

There's also The Inhabitants of London in 1638 on British History Online: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/london-inhabitants/1638

Boyd's Inhabitants of London on findmypast doesn't include a William Steeper: http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/boyds-inhabitants-of-london-and-family-units-1200-1946

If you study the masters, did they both live in the same part of the city?

Nathan
Robert O'Connor
2017-07-12 05:55:51 UTC
Further to my query above about William Steeper appearing as an apprentice clotherworker in London, and then as a Merchant Taylor, also in London, I note the following commentary taken from the Clotherworkers' Company website:

"In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, they [the records of the Clothworkers' Company] also contain references to wider issues such as the regulation of the trade in the City of London (many clothworkers could be found in the Merchant Taylors and Dyers’ Companies for example) and the impact of the export of (unfinished) cloth on artisan members."

On this basis, I think it is reasonable to conclude that these two references relate to the same William Steeper.

Robert O'Connor