Richard III DNA Investigation
Add Reply
g***@gmail.com
2017-08-07 00:47:07 UTC
Does anyone know if there are any further developments in the Kevin Schürer and/or Turi King research on Richard III's DNA? The last information I could find indicates the Plantagenet line itself could be in jeopardy.

When scientists revealed last year that an adulterous affair had apparently broken the male line in Richard III’s family tree, they vowed to investigate further.

But rather than clear up the mystery, their latest genetic tests have uncovered evidence of another royal sex scandal. This time, the indiscretion could potentially undermine the legitimacy of the entire House of Plantagenet....

For all the scientists know, Patrice de Warren carries the ‘true’ Plantagenet Y chromosome, and those found in Richard III and the extended family of Henry Somerset were inherited from another man. “The problem is that we cannot say where the break occurs. All it tells us is that we have to keep looking, and that is what we are doing,” said Kevin Schürer, a genealogy expert at Leicester who is working on the case.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/25/richard-iii-dna-tests-uncover-evidence-of-further-royal-scandal

See also:
http://www.iflscience.com/technology/dna-tests-uncover-more-evidence-infidelity-richard-iiis-family-tree/

Thanks!
taf
2017-08-07 05:08:38 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
The Plantagenet line itself is not in jeopardy - well, no more so than it was before this result. Here is what happened. Patrice de Warren walked in off the street proclaiming himself to be a true descendant of Geoffrey Plantagenet. They tested his DNA and it matched neither Richard III nor the Beaufort descendant. Rather than reaching the patently obvious conclusion that Patrice was not a descendant of Geoffrey Plantagenet, they took his undocumented claim completely at face value and instead declared that there was further crypto-paternity in the Plantagenet royal line.

One of three things happened here: 1) they were tragically credulous when it came to accepting Patrice de Warren's claim as if it was real; 2) they cynically made the calculation that if they announced that the guy who walked in off the street claiming to be a Plantagenet was making it up, The Guardian would tell them to come back when they have something worth reporting, so they selected a more juicy narrative, or 3) they reached a more authentic conclusion, but The Guardian decided to give it a 'better' spin.

As of March this year the team announced they had turned their attention to one of Jack the Ripper's victims.

taf
Dee Horn
2017-08-07 17:34:53 UTC
I just read a book from the Library and it shows his DNA etc

The Last Days of Richard III and the Fate of His DNA

The Book That Inspired the Dig

Ashdown-Hill, John